Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sumo Hash

Wow, in the course of a week I have done 4 hashes. That's pretty impressive, eh?
I'm not so sure though, given as I had the opportunity to do 5 hashes.
That put aside though, I will be back in Tokyo on Friday the 9th and will regain my chance to hash with the F3H3 then. I am not concerned.
Today was the Sumo Hash and while I did trail I was quite late in arriving and simply had to carry my bag with me. Not a huge deal, but due to my camera I spent more time walking than running.
It was another hour and a half train ride, this time right out of Tokyo into Kawasaki. Yes, more of the non-city! Trail itself was an adventure from the train station all over the nearby area. Up into city parks atop large hills and wandering down the roads between houses. Since I was a half-hour late to start, I did trail alone and with most people gone for the holidays it was kind of Resident Evil-esque.
Having my gear with me, while it really kept me from running, offered me the unusual opportunity to take some pictures as well of Japan in the winter. Sorry, no snow (this isn't Las Vegas), but I made do.
It was a consummate 9k trail with a beer stop about half-way through... though trail honestly felt much longer. Maybe it was because I was walking most of the time, maybe because of the number of hills and stairs, but for the first time out here I felt like I was on a 12 or 13k trail. My hour and a half walking time damn near proved my point.
Though, when push came to shove, In Your Dreams laid quite well and except for one instance at the start of trail where it changed direction and wasn't marked, I found my way quite easily.
Kampai to all the pack who marked trail and even pointed out a couple short-cuts along the way in chalk.
Circle itself was pretty low key. We stood around in a small park, ate some typical hash snack food and drank local brew and Budweiser (what? Budweiser?).
I have most every hasher here hooked on adding "Viva Las Vegas!" as a tail-end of when I say where I am from which is pretty cool.
Went for haberdashery, but they didn't have any patches for Sumo. However, the haberdasher does now own a sewing machine that does embroidery, so I am doing my best to convince him that he should get a patch made for next weekend when I return before flying back to the U.S.A.
Still got a T-shirt though. It is very, blue.

No comments: