Sunday, December 21, 2008

Lost in Angeles

Yesterday marked my second Philippine hash with the Angeles City H3. With a goofy caribou as their mascot and the Anchorage as their official home, I have heard a lot of promise about how grand these chaps are.
Well, yes and no. I have a feeling that the trail I was on yesterday is not the typical for these hardcore hashers.
If you haven't been paying attention to the calendar lately, it's nearing Christmas. The Philippine Islands are absolutely HUGE on the holiday, celebrating it for the length of time usually relegated to department stores in the U.S. This being the case, most of the hashes out here are holding Santa-style trails where they travel through the local neighborhoods and toss candy out to the kids.
Angeles City H3 held just such a trail, but somewhere along the lines of the idea, not everyone knew what was going on. So it turned into a fairly flat, street trail with a lot of walking and only about five people were throwing candy. I had no idea this was going on, so I showed up with nothing to give to the kids. It was trail only for me.
That being said, trail wasn't really laid for visitors. There was a runner/walker split, but the runner trail had zero markings (save for a couple from trails past that hadn't washed away yet). So, about a third of the way through the runners trail, I ended up having to find a group of local hashers to figure out trail with. It was all a bit off unfortunately and hopefully (assuming) I can attend one more of their hashes before moving onward, I will have a vastly different experience.
On the other hand, circle was quite fun. For a bunch of crusty 'ol men (I mean that in the most light-hearted of ways), they cornered the market on the dry British style of witty humour and kept the pack's eyes glued to the center. All without the use of ice that I've become so familiar with around Southeast Asia.
Outside of being a visitor and 1 (count it... ONE!) broken bottle, I kept fairly low key compared to lately except for one glaring exception.
During the singing of "Royal Brittania" I outvoiced (for better or worse) all participants, then got called in for being the damn typical Yank (with the same light-heartedness I mentioned earlier).
I took my down-down with pride and after they closed circle a little bit later, we all went into the Anchorage to chow down on a grand meal that a birdie told me was paid for by one Titanic Dickhead. Hey, what a great guy feeding the hash, kind of a little early X-mas gift for the Angeles City H3.
Other things of note, I got to run into some traveling hashers from Copenhagen, Swamp Thing and Thunderpiss. The original "black dick" brothers, named so because they like to go to certain places and do certain things until their foreskins go black and fall off (was that crude?).
That's the 4th time I've run into Swamp Thing, the first being in Copenhagen returning their mascot Kylie to the CH3 and again in Sukothai, Thailand for Mekong Indochina 2008 and the third stop being in Hong Kong at their Santa Hash.
May traveling hashers unite!

No comments: