Friday, June 6, 2008

HOTlanta? Mylanta? At least it's Atlanta

I need to rewind for a second to Choo Choo Chattanooga. At the On Afters we were quietly going through hash songs (Jesus Saves in particular) after eating while finishing our beers. I went into my finisher:
Gretzky with the puck, he barrels down the ice, dodging one defender... Jesus at the goal... Gretzky has a clear shot, he positions himself, shoots...
JESUS SAVES! JESUS SAVES! JESUS SAVES!

I had but just finished when from behind me we hear, "and McSorely scores on the rebound!"

Our jaws dropped, we turned around and this old gent with his wife and daughter (and granddaughter) says, "You must be hashers."
Of course we were so we ask if he's one, he is a self professed "recovering hasher" who last hashed in 1983 under the name Gnarly Knot.
We chatted for a bit, he used to hash with Fort Hustus (sp?) and knew many of the older hashers that Choo Choo RA Hugh Heifer knew. All in all, pretty nifty!

Back to current events...
I arrived in Atlanta on Wednesday, stopping on the way in to take a tour of the Talladega (Nights) Super Speedway and the International Motorsports (read: NASCAR) Hall of Fame. Some of the older cars were really fun to look at, but post '80, they all seemed to switch to bare minimum frame with a rollcage and a fiberglass shell. I'd much rather race in something you can buy off a car lot and modify than a "one purpose only" built from the ground up for the oval car. My opinion at least.
Arrived at Pumpt'kin's place about 30 seconds before she got back from work, and we made Snakebites (half Harp Lager, half hard Cider), grilled some steaks, mushrooms and steamed Artichokes and had an excellent meal while talking about life, hashing and what-not.
The next day I helped her out with some gardening, then went and drove around the city for a bit before going to the S.L.U.T. hash.
It was a well laid 4ish mile trail by the hare Mister Fister that included a Natty Light beer check, some backroads and wood shiggy and hot dogs and burgers at the on-in.
I was FRB again, and RA Surly Temple ran the traditional circle with plenty of down-downs before closing things up, sans Hash Hymn #1.
Met a lot of great hashers, found out they don't have a wait period before namings and a couple other differences that I've come to expect from the different hashes I've hashed with over the past month+.
It looks like I'll be in Atlanta through the weekend (and then some) as today (tonight) they've got the SoCo/Darkside hash. A 10 miler through waist deep swamp. Massive shiggy is expected to say the least (they mentioned Kevlar vest on the website?)...
Tomorrow (Saturdee) is the Atlanta H4 (hared by Portugese Water Dog), followed by the Pine Lake H3's Prom From Hell, which is pretty much a block party that the hash is taking over (woot!). Then Sundee is the Black Sheep H3, which apparantely will be standard trail length with tons of shiggy. Mondee is Moonlight Monday Hash and then there's Two For Tuesday, a 2 mile trail with 4 beer checks. Needless to say I'll be busy.
Come Wednesday I'll be getting out of Atlanta and moving South to Savannah, GA where there's a hash running that night. I "half" expect to be in Florida by the weekend, but I'm starting to enter serious multi-hash territory.
I expect major Flabongo-(.com!)-ing in the next couple of days too, I need to clean out the suck-point though just in case there are any hash germs running around on there from when I got sick.

No comments: