Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Keys

Most of this past week (roughly Tuesday through Thursday) was spent in
Key West. In order to safe on boarding costs I drove there overnight,
getting there around 1:30 am, sleeping in my car overnight so I could
get a full day first thing without spending for a room.
Spent the day doing the usual tourist sightseeing of Hemmingway's
home, Mile Marker 0 (literally the end of the road) on US Highway 1
and the Southernmost point in the Continental U.S. which is roughly 90
miles from Cuba.
Then took a ghost tour of the island, learning some of Key West's
unique history, including the doll that inspired the Chucky films.
I had a checklist for the Keys, and I'm pround (gonna do a down-down
for this) to say I've completed it. This list entailed.
Having a Cheeseburger in Paradise and Margarita at the original
Margaritaville (no, Jimmy Buffet wasn't there)
Eating a genuine slice of Key Lime Pie (much more tart than the west
coast edition, also available in Pie on a Stick form, dipped in
chocolate)
Drinking a beer at the Hog's Breath Saloon (Because hog's breath is
better than no breath at all), having a beer at Capt. Tony's (the
original Sloppy Joe's which was Hemmingway's favorite bar), the new
Sloppy Joe's and eating fresh seafood from the Raw Bar (oysters,
clams, shrimp, conch)
Snorkling on a reef
Sailing on a catamaran
Swimming in 2 oceans at the same time (The Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico).
Overall it was a blast, but too pricey. I could've went a week or 2 in
the Pacific Islands for what I spent in Key West.
I did make an attempt to contact the Key West H3 while I was there,
but it was the last day and I was unsuccessful.
Key West was a needed break from the de rigors of constant road
whoring to different hashes, but I'm ready to return to the ilk of our
kind.
Just with less mosquitoes!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had to do a particularly nasty down-down on monday for not shutting my mouth during circle. They brought out this piping that was supposed to keep me from being able to bend my arm - only problem was that it couldn't get over my fatty elbow. HA! They got served! Still haven't been named though.