Sunday, October 12, 2008

German made

I finally made it to a "true" hashing trail in Switzerland with the Schaffhausen H3. There was just one slight flaw as the trail was actually in Singen, Germany, which is literally right over the border between the two countries.
Bringing my passport (which I didn't end up needing, but better safe than sorry, right?), Moose Diver and I met up with Happy Chappy and Skippy Gonzales on the train to Singen and arrived to see the hares DureXXel and Sweet Maori arriving from having laid trail, arms (well at least DureXX's) caked in flour. Shortly thereafter Swans (a hash transfer from Penang and India) came up, introduced himself and we all started off on trail.
Even for a Friday hash, you might expect it to be a lighter trail as we didn't start until after dark. But, in true hash spirit, Maori went with full gusto for her virgin laying of trail, taking us from the train stop, around the backside of the small town's center and then up-up-up a cross winding trail leading to the top of a nearby hill (i.e. small mountain...) where we circled up amidst the ruins of an old fortress that was the victim of Napoleon's lust for conquering neighboring nations back in the 1800's. All in all it was roughly 8k, not counting the extra half mile I ran trying to shortcut in the completely wrong direction. What I don't know is if this included the bleedin' walk back DOWN the mountain to get to the on-after.
The whole scene (during circle) was remarkably eerie, with (I kid you not) what sounded like a screeching woman coming from deeper in the ruins (we didn't check and the main part was behind large sharp gates anyway).
I hope to get back there before I leave for Asia and take some pictures as it is roughly 20 minutes by train.
In other news, I went into Bern to apply for a visa to India only to run into a major stumbling block. The jokers want 145 franks (roughly 130 dollars US) for the visa. Tag that onto the 800 dollar plane flight and another 150+ to go back to Bern (twice) on the train to give them the required photos+flight confirmation+proof of finances and I'm looking at over 1000 dollars just to get INTO the country.
Obviously this is completely ridiculous, especially since the website said it would only be 60 franks for the visa.
As a result I am switching my plans. On Monday I will set up a flight into a major hub of Asia (most likely Bangkok, Thailand where ticket prices start at much closer to 600) and start my asian travels from there. As I get closer south, if I get near India, I will attempt a border crossing then where I expect it will be much cheaper.
I suspect I will be here in Switzerland another two weeks to shoot for a cheaper ticket from a nearby major airport (Munich most likely). I can't really complain too much though for the wait. Outside of the absolutely ridiculous cost of everything here (which is apparantly made up for with the rate of pay and extremely low taxes), I'm learning some basic Deutch and the bartendress next door calls me 'crazy man' and winks at me frequently enough. I could see living here if I can find gainful (self?) employment after my trip is done.
Now excuse me, I have Top Ramen to cook and I need to check on my clothes washing in the bathtub.

No comments: