Sunday, October 5, 2008

Swiss Miss

Damn good instant hot chocolate while camping, but I haven't met any.
So right now I'm in Switzerland, following an on the whim invite from a Schaffhausen H3 hasher named Moose Diver on my final night in Munich.
Schaffhausen is this small (roughly 3,000 people?) town smack dab in I don't really know where the hell I am land that is roughly 3 kilometers from the most massive waterfall in Europe. It's not exactly tall (23 meters in full), but it is a good 125 meters wide and the amount of water that goes over is nothing short of mind blowing. Walking the hills alongside it is the only way to understand the sheer power of this damn thing. Take the largest wave you've ever seen (that hasn't drowned an island and created mass devastation), multiply it by 50 and imagine it continually in the state of crashing on the beach. Immense, powerful, and if I were of better mind, probably scary.
Instead I conjured up the entirely ridiculous notion of imagining what it would be like to raft that sonuvabitch. Nothing that I would follow through on (no death wish here), but the idea is intriguing. Apparently a few years ago an Australian and an American did just that, were fished out of the water on the other side beaten to a bloody pulp and lucky to be alive. Then were promptly arrested and had to pay their hospital and rescue bill.
Been there before, don't plan on repeating.
Well, that's enough of that, time to rewind back to the hash.
Tuesday night, still reeling with a sore throat from Munich and sucking on lozenges to stay the hurt, Moose and I took the train into Winterthur to hash with B.I.T.C.H.3, officially referred to as a non-hash by another Switzerland hash because they don't hold circle and just slip into a food providing establishment after trail (similar to Phoenix's Hump Hash).
The trail however was mighty and quite good. The hare (also a touch ill from whatever bug is going around this fall) stuck mainly to forest trails, but wasn't afraid to venture off into the bush, which led to briars, nettle, mud and fun.
Battled down from the weekend prior I decided to walk with fellow Munich victim (via knee blow out) Likk'mm and we punched through the entirety of trail in an impressive 2 hours. Only impressive because the Drink Stop was hidden out of the way and we somehow passed the runners and arrived at the On-In a full 10 minutes before anyone else. Topped off by them not even finishing trail and taking the tram to the finish from the Drink Stop.
I ate wild boar and drank heffe to get some local food in my gullet.

Yesterday was the Zurich H3's hash, and while I did trail, I can't really say I did the hash.
With trail at 3, I figured I could catch a train at 1:30 at the latest and still swing into Waddeswil in time to hit trail.
Instead I missed the train because the ticket que was so long. No biggie, I can catch the next train and last minute it.
Purchased my ticket and waited... waited... waited... The damn ICE train was almost 20 minutes later than it was supposed to be. As a result I missed the last train into the town trail started in by a good 10 minutes.
Not wanting to waste the 20 franks I put into a ticket to Zurich, I tried to get the next ticket to Waddeswil, only to run into another ticket line issue. I said, "fuck it" and just hopped on the train which got me to trail a good hour after it started. Ok, I've caught up before in this type of mishap, just never in a town I don't know.
I spent half an hour looking for trail (the start acted as a check and wasn't marked), then once I found it, ran directly into a false.
Cursing and glaring, I just started to randomly walk up and down streets, hoping that the rain hadn't washed the flour away and I could find something of trail.
Eventually I did, and started following it, up a long and steep hill, cresting at the top with a hare arrow pointing the opposite way.
I made my way back along trail, was waylaid by a couple falses, but continued to find and follow trail (it was well marked once I actually found it), until I arrived at what I can only guess was the On-In. I wouldn't know for sure though as by this time another hour+ had passed and anyone who would've been there was long gone.
Thoroughly beaten, I walked back to the train station, purchased a ticket back to Shaffhausen and took a seat. Good thing too because about 5 stops into the journey the train was raided (there were no less than 10 people, I swear) by train authorities who were tossing out fines left and right for people with no tickets.
I was apparently on the wrong train, but since I could transfer from the next stop to the correct train and I obviously didn't have a clue about the system, they sorted me on where I needed to be and let me go.
If you're wondering where my host, Moose Diver was during all of this, he was haring a trail in Munich. As far as I know he's still there.
Coming back off the train I stopped by the local pub (all of 10 meters from Moose's place) and had a couple well deserved pints.
A couple ladies have asked me how long I'll be in Schaffhausen, but with the prices here, I really hope to have a solid travel plan to India in the next week unless I can get hooked up with a little mexicano style work here.

2 comments:

Justin Massongill said...

Have some curry for me once you're in India.

I can only dream (nightmare?) about some of the ideas you're having for the GH:WT music creator. I'm almost afraid for you to come back.

Aeon said...

Dude! Sweet hashing tale over in Germany/Switzerland.
If you do anymore hashing with any of those groups make sure you tell them ROCK HARD says Hallo!
I used to hash out there long before I came to the VLVHHH.

On On and I hope you're as well as you sound!