Friday, November 14, 2008

Posting at the speed of ...meh

Funny thing about tropical island life. It sucks your initiative for
things like posting in blogs, but gives you great energy for things
like waterfalls, running on the beach, rock scrambling, vine swinging
and all that. The perfect appetite builder for Tom Yam Fung and
grilled red snapper.
The only real down side to Malaysia so far is the beer is close to
Western European prices.
What's that? I'm in Malaysia!?
I'm a touch behind in hash posts (over a week now), so I'll have to do
these in a briefer format.
Pattaya H3 was a bit different from the Jungle hash they have out
there. With a group that numbers close to 100, there are definite
clicks that form between group members. Is this for the best of the
hash as a whole? I can't really say.
As for trail itself, we started in the middle of a rubber tree
plantation about a 45 minute bus ride from Pattaya. Traversing all
sorts of various terrain, it was an exceedlingly well laid trail that
broke from the rubber trees to the pineapple fields, then through some
jungle into tapioca trees (thankfully no wasps this time) and back
along service roads before cutting back into the jungle again to
returns into the rubber trees.
All in all it was about a 10k hash with tricky checks and well marked paths.
Circle itself was as grand as most I've attended, though much bigger.
The vibe from the Jungle hashes circle carried through, but not to the
extent of rambunctiousness (if that's even a word, whatever).
Back in Switzerland I was given a book by Moose Diver called Hasta
Bananas, written by a hasher named Black Justice (real name, Otti
Schmidt). While traveling to and through Thailand, I was able to read
through it. Basically his chronicles of sailing the south seas back in
the mid to late 90's, it was a fun read and really has helped me to
continue this blog (though I have been lazy as of late).
Well, standing in circle that night, I look at the hasher standing
next to me and he looks very similar to Otti. I ask him his hash name
and sure enough, It's Black Justice himself!
On the bus ride back into town, we chatted about traveling, writing
and sailing. It turns out he no longer has his boat Hasta Manana, but
still travels around asia and the south seas, just golfing in his
retirement. Very cool, even though I am not a golfer myself.
After the Pattaya hash, I spent a few more days in Pattaya, just
enjoying the beach, then jumped a bus back to Bangkok to meet up with
Mount-Hee to travel to Cambodia. Ummm... that's the next post!

No comments: