Monday, July 7, 2008

Everyday is Wednesday

Reportedly the largest hash in the U.S., I got my opportunity to hash with them on July 3rd.
Parking my car by The Mall, near the Capitol Building I took a cab ride over to Farragut Station to discover somewhere between 80 to 100 hashers all gathering in a small park. With about a dozen virgins and 4 or so visitors to join me, it was hectic to say the least. The majority of these folk were runners and I did my best to keep up with the middle of the pack.
However, I wasn't really prepared to run at speed with them and used the three shot checks and one beer check to my advantage in keeping with the group.
It was for the most part all non-shiggy inner-city running with clever checks (almost all solved by the FRB's before I got there) but I (and a few others) was able to add a little more adventure by short-cutting a portion of trail via a 20 foot wall climb, punctuated by my catching an old nail in my thigh (yay for up to date tetanus shots!).
With a crowd that big, I was fortunate to run across a couple I met at the Peach Fuzz hash in Augusta so the familiar faces were nice. Then I ran into a hasher from Rhode Island who asked if I remembered Dave. Yup, comedy Dave that ran with us for about a year before disappearing to the East Coast. It took a minute for me to remember him, but recall I did!
Circle was huge and slightly askew. It's impossible to keep such a large group focused, but my hat off to the RA for a bang up job! There was even a naming, not that I can recall the name right now.
We circled up on the back end of a park near a skate park and a freeway. Nearby was a playground made up of almost entirely nets and rope. Forming webs of sort, many of us climbed on the structures like chimpanzees at the zoo. I hung upside down a few times, almost losing my beer in the process (but I didn't!)
The On-After was at a gay bar a few blocks from the freeway underpass where we ended. There we ordered more beer, played pool, sang karaoke and really crowded the upstairs of the joint.
I hung until late then walked back to my car, which (miraculously) was still there. The only car in the area.
I spent the night outside of town at an EconoLodge, then parked my car at a Metro Station and took the train in on the 4th. Walked The Mall, took pictures of the Capitol Building and the Washington Monument and a few other unique structures, then I ate some Bhutanese food and made my way over to the Lincoln Memorial to wait for the fireworks.
Several hours (and rainstorms... should've brought my umbrella, but it was almost 90 out and no clouds when I got there...) later I got to watch a spectacular fireworks show over the Washington Monument from the footsteps of the Lincoln Memorial. Amazing.
Afterwards I walked the Vietnam Memorial then made my way over to the Jefferson Memorial before catching the train back to my car.

No comments: