Thursday, July 24, 2008

Boston H3 - Shiggy redeux!

For the first time since Atlanta, I've spent a week in one place. Actually, I've now passed Atlanta time-wise.
I've been partitioning time between Cycle's in downtown Boston and my Flat4LV buddy Mike out here in Stoughton. Both places have been more than amazing in terms of letting me stay (though I'd be lying if I said I didn't have preferences) and I'm doing my best to stay out of my hosts hair (which is why I'm bouncing around a bit). Ummm, it's good. Yeah, I've been grinning a lot.

Well, this blog is about hashing, so I'm going to get back on topic.
Got to this week's Boston H3 pre-lube/start on time (holy hell-fire shit, how did I manage that?) with the promise of a heavy shiggy hash and boy did they deliver. In circle I was given crap for kissing ass when I said they've pulled the best shiggy hash I've done so far, but I wasn't kidding.
We started out at a pub in Central Quincy with what seemed to be a standard urban hash. Then, three checks later it started. I found trail through some bushes alongside a warehouse type building. Yelling, "On-On!" and blowing the whistle I picked up in Charleston I turned the corner (prominent FRB at the time) to discover a huge pile of... SNOW! Well, it was actually shaved ice, but whatever.
Immediately I started piling snowballs, getting about 5 made before the next hashers turned the corner. I let loose a barrage and invited them to help me ambush the rest of the pack. Slowly over the next few minutes our attack built and we loosed a massive flurry as the DFL's turned the corner.
Returning back to haul ass on trail we passed some guys sitting behind another building in a pickup drinking beer. I asked them for one. They gave one to Monthly Cycle (hey, she has tits, it's a persuasive argument), then... they gave a beer to me. Yes, impromptu beer-checks!
A little further down on trail we turned into a cemetery. Unlike the ones in Las Vegas this was massive with giant and varied headstones and monuments to those passed. A couple caught my eye, including a classic cross/statue piece and a really nifty pyramid that had every side engraved.
From there we entered a field. It's hard to describe because I'm not familiar with North East terminology, but it was a giant grass field with knee to thigh high grass growing on almost black soil with irrigation ditches running haphazardly through. If you weren't careful you could easily misstep and plunge three or so feet into some of the most foul, brackish water you can imagine.
Good, solid shiggy and not a briar in sight to lacerate me! Didn't even see poison ivy, which is a double bonus since I left the alcohol in Stoughton.
Well, all that careful jumping of ditches came to naught a half mile further down when trail led us straight through open water.
Maybe 100 yards long we were no longer land bound. The good was the water was maybe 2 feet deep at its worst. The bad was that the bottom was just loose mud, the kind that you sink up to your knees in.
I -of course- yelled, "Cannonball!" and jumped in, only to get brackish, foul water up my nose, in my mouth and just... nasty! However, nasty means good shiggy!
We exited the other side and ran through more fields into the beer check, the sweet sweet beer check. The only problem was, we beat the hares. They showed up about 7 minutes after everyone's arrival with beer. Singing and gallivanting ensued while rain started to pour down. This is hashing, this is enjoyment! I had myself another beer.
We continued on trail, more street, more fields, more jumping of tiny ditches before coming across a GIANT water crossing. At twice the width of the last one, I was sorely tempted to hijack a nearby rowboat tied to several other rowboats which were near a dock. I'm pretty sure we were on the edges of the Atlantic...
Trail exited by the boathouse where several people were watching our drenched, foul smelling selves climb out of the water as we ran into even more fields before ending on a beach with no clue where trail was.
My one wish was that the hares used bio-degradable TP on some of the sections instead of colored flour. Once night fell it got very difficult to see the pink flour on the ground.
Everyone tromped through the woods for a bit before centering on where we ended up having circle.
With three visitors (counting myself there were also two from St. Louis, PMS and Postage Tramp... may have been more, I was drinking...), circle was a riot.
I vaguely remember bits... but I was having fun.
Afterwards we all went back to the On-After at a local bar where we had pizza and more beer.
There was a woman changing in the Men's room, so I took it upon myself to change in the Women's. Turn about is fair play, right?
Eventually (shortly thereafter) everyone started going home. I'm not entirely sure, but I got a pretty strong feeling that the ending bar is not looking for our return. Maybe because we kept breaking the shirt-shoes policy (our clothes were drenched, what did they expect?).
Cycle and I rode the train with PMS and Postage returning to our respective places. I am apparently "adorably smitten" when drunk?
A long shower to clean the stench off was in order, followed by a really good night's sleep.

Today I took the train back to Stoughton, and purchased plane tickets to Europe. I leave on July 31st, expecting to land in London roughly 6:30 a.m. the next day.
I thought I had the car thing worked out, but my folks seem to have set up plans of their own. I'm really iffy because it's very cost prohibitive and I'm only 4 months in. Hashpitality is going to play heavy in Europe. At least I'll know someone out there within a couple months of when I go over. Hashers all have friendly faces, but there's something to be said for a familiar one too.
Next Wednesday will be my third (and last) Boston hash and my last in the United States until?
Time to ramp up!
On-On!

3 comments:

Deeley said...

big smile!

Justin Massongill said...

Vegas misses you, buddy. Enjoy your last days in America, make sure to stop at the Regent Street Apple Store in London, I hear it's one of the most awesome stores there is!

Unknown said...

Hiya Alcoholiday,

Woman changing in the men's bathroom was none other than myself.

Had a blast, look us up if you come through St. Louis again.

www.big-hump.com

PMS