Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I Love Rocky Hash

There isn't a Rocky Hash... why not? There should be damnit!
I spent much of Monday at Westminster meeting up and hanging out with a car club buddy of mine who moved out East (Flat4 FTW!). Tuesday he left for work and I drove out to Gettysburg to see all the wretchedness that the Civil War had wrought in order to bring us the country that we have today.
I spent the extra dough for a 2 hour bus tour around the entire field, hearing stories of battles and lives both won and lost.
A tad bit pricey (the tour that is), but I definitely came back with a profound view of what formed our country and an even deeper appreciation for Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.
The one kicker was that the bus tour didn't stop for pictures, so I spent the next hour hauling ass across the battlefield so I could capture images of what I'd seen.
Combined with a clusterfuck of traffic in the center of town and I had to haul even more ass (there was a lot of ass hauling going on) into West Chester, PA (suburb of Philly?) in order to make the Philadelphia Hash House Harriers hash.
I arrived about a half hour late, the same time as Cliff Diver from Rumsfeld H3 (an all men's hash) and we started following trail, running into a haphazard Dancing Fool along the way.
In and out of alleys, down and up streets, the hare, Mandongo, laid very well with no falses, but a few of the checks still threw us through a loop and by the beer-check (a stop in at a bar called Jake's where there were amazing beer prices of 50 cents a glass!) we were still about 20 minutes behind.
Shortly after Cliff Diver and I left the beer check we ran into Dancing Fool again, carrying a trash bag of recycleables while running down the train tracks. We all had an impromptu wild raspberry check then asked a Mexican family about which way "el corre loco" went before high tailing it further down the tracks to beat the train across the bridge (seemed like a good idea).
2 checks later and Dancing Fool was long on his own path. Cliff Diver and I came to a hell of a check and spent a good 10 minutes running up and down and over and around various streets and parking garages. He went one way, I went the other and found trail.
Yelling "On-On" at the top of my lungs I hoped to have him catch up to me, but alas... never saw him again (until the On-In that is).
Alone, in West Chester without a clue where the fuck I was, my only hope was to follow marked checks (of which there were few). This led to my downfall however as I followed a badly marked check into an intersection of 3 (count 'em) streets. I went down and up each and every one, never finding trail but finding a nice older asian lady who hosed me down while watering her garden (thanks!).
I finally went back into the park where the check was, went the opposite way that I had and ended up finding trail with the help of a casual jogger (yogger?) who just happened to be heading (who said head?) down the same street trail went.
A mile or so later I finally arrived at the start point and made it into the On-In, only about half an hour after circle had finished and the hashers were just kind of hanging out, eating pizza and drinking Yeungling beer.
I introduced myself, told them that "Martha says, Hi!" Which he really didn't say, but I figured that he would if I had called him to let him know I was in Philly and going to their hash.
10 minutes later Cliff Diver and Dancing Fool came in. Apparantly Cliff ran into Fool and they went to the nearby hospital for some water and to chill in the air conditioning for a while before just tromping back to the start (wankers).
All in all, good fun.

I grabbed a campsite for the night outside of town (after driving around for a half hour because the damn place I went to first was shut down...), then came back into downtown Philadelphia today to check out the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and a bunch of other touristy things.
It all culminated not too long ago when I parked my car by the Free Library (yes, that's what it's called) and threw on a hash hoodie and did my best Rocky down the grassy field the .6 miles to the Philadelphia Art Museum. All through hardcore driving rain. It was officially kick-ass.

I missed hashing with the Hokessin (sp?) hash in Delaware (Delaware... Hi, I'm in Delaware...) to do it, but plan on making the Ridgefield hash in Conneticut tomorrow evening.

On-On!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Alcoholiday...Nice meeting you at Philly Hash on Tuesday. Good luck in your travels.

E=MyCockSquared