Saturday, May 24, 2008

Chicago - Day One-ish

Took a couple days to drive up here from St. Louis, camping overnight in Springfield, Illinois (adult home of Abraham Lincoln).
Thanks to traffic getting near the city, a two and a half hour drive takes almost 4 hours, bad enough that I almost miss my whole point for driving in the city on Thursday, the hash!
With little degree for traveling error, I find the start point for the Thirst-day H3. A small Irish Pub called the Hidden Shamrock where I quickly change clothes in the bathroom and have the bar hold my bag before jumping outside to hear chalk-talk and start the run.
It was a good 4 mile pavement pounder (pound her?) with several ridiculously long F's (falses) that left me feeling quite circle jerked many a time (in no way is that good...). Horn-E was a devious hare, somewhat 60 years old and not at all afraid to hang back at checks (dead trail) to point us in the right direction after we wandered like a pack of lemmings with no clue how to get to the sea (?).

Met a lot of great hashers and even had Princess Labia and Stump Humper be kind enough to offer me crash space in their extra room. Slept off the alcohol well and the next day we got to work on our own Drinko board (thank's for the idea Count Chocula!), getting some wood and nails (the wood got nailed?) from the hardware store then heading (who said head?) back to their place to draw a frickin' awesome drunk rabbit on it and plan out where to put the nails.
Then we met up with more hashers at Goose Island to nosh and drink authentic Chicago beer, where I got to meet up with long time internet bud Brett (aka Skitz, aka Immie and whatever handle he posts under these days -mammonman-).
We all hang out, have a good time, blah-blah-blah and then head off. Brett and I continue to another bar near his establishment of residence to continue drinking and the harriettes go home as one of them has a shit-ton of chores to do and the other has a 10 mile run the next morning.
Brett and I hang out and drink for the majority of the night, always staying in that comfortable zone of "avoiding the hangover next morning" with a careful distribution of food and water.
Friday was a good day (to die? ...that's not right.)
So it's Saturday morning, I crashed on Brett's couch last night. We're gearing up for the Second City Hash House Harriers run roughly 2:00 this afternoon. Should be fun, I've never brought a virgin to a hash I'm visiting. Who knows, Chicago may have a new (knew) hasher in the making. Cool!

No comments: