Wednesday, May 28, 2008

mas y mas, Chicago

Well, I still can't keep up with all my happenings on a day to day
basis, so here's a summary of my last few days in the Windy City.

First off, thanks to my buddy Brett who I stayed with the majority of
my time in Chicago. I think he had fun at the hashes and I enjoyed the
walking tour of downtown Chicago very much.
On Saturday we attended the Second City hash, a more family friendly
environment where young'ns ran around and up until circle we contained
the language that usually accompanies hashes very well. It was a fair
length pavement pounder with some shiggy around the train tracks.
Outside of getting off the arrows a few times it was pretty simple
until the beer check where everyone just said , "Fuck it!" and we all
walked back to the on in (it was an A to A) together.
The beer was stellar with bottles of Sam Adams and even some home brew
which was a touch to strong to do a down down with, but great
otherwise.

Sunday (Sunday, Sunday) was an entirely different affair for Chicago
H3's Memorial Day weekend hash. I figure a good 50 people showed up,
many of us early to snag one of only 30 shirts that the hares had made
up and were giving away. Brett and I got there a good hour early and
we were only just in the top 10 (count...) of people who arrived.
I 'think' the bartender might have known that a running club was
starting there, but I'm 'certain' the sheer volume of us scared the
shit out of her!
So, as a misty rain began to descend over a warm Chicago we took off.
Told that there were 3 (count 'em...) beer checks on trail, I don't
know about the others, but I didn't expect a full 5 miles before stop
one. Mostly pavement with a nice stretch on wood chipped trail along
a river, it was done quite nicely with well placed checks and only one
really long straight section.
It also stands to note that I almost got in a fight as some VW driving
ass clown got all pissy at me over stupid shit.

me: (standing partway in street looking for trail after a check)
him: (making turn in car) "Hey!" (flipping me off)
me: "chill dude, my bad."
I hear someone blow their whistle and take off in that direction.
Turns out we're running down the same street this guy ends up parking
on.
him: (gets out of car and glares at me all evil like as he goes into a door)
me: (run past the door about 10 seconds later, stick my tongue out and
"pppphhhbbbbt!")
Turns out he was waiting just inside the door watching and waiting for
me to pass by! I don't really care...seemed strange, but whatever. I
keep running down the street with Uploader.
Behind me I hear the door unlock and open.
him: Want to do that again fuckwad?"
me: Nope, I think you figured it out already.
Uploader: What's his problem?
me: (explain above) he's a moron.
The guy proceeds to walk after me down the street for a few feet
cursing, but someone yells the Beer Check is not to far ahead so I
just dismiss the situation as him being an asshole who completely fell
for my playful antagonization. Yay me!

After the first beer check we headed (who said head?) out again,
running past a park and covering another two miles before the next
stop where beer and games awaited us.
We lined up in teams to play "Dizzy Bat" and spun/drunk ouurselves to
injury whilst competing for no real prize at all! (I'm serious about
the injury part as Just Eileen broke his hand falling and several
other hashers bloodied elbows or knees falling)
Another half-mile and we ended up in a very nice park by a softball
field for more beer and a very large game of Duck, Duck, Goose!
We played for a while and then took off for another half mile or so
before ending up at Virgin Banger and Rent A Virgin's place. 8 rockin'
miles in all, but it didn't feel nearly that far thanks to the games
and how the BC's were spaced.
As we go in the back gate we're greeted by a GIANT banner recognizing
the hash event and Goose Island's sponsorship (they donated 3 kegs!).
We circled up, did the usual she-bang (her-bang?) with one unusual
twist. When circle started to get a tad bit rowdy, the GM and RA
pulled out "The Cone Of Silence" which was placed on the loudest
person's head (wsh?) and remained there until they either shut the
fuck up, or someone else deserved it more.
Eventually we got to Swing Low, then we commenced to games and eating.
The food was amazing! BBQ and salad filled the plates, and the hares
took up a collection for a fourth keg as we drained the original
three!
The games, from Drinko (thanks Count Chocula!) to Cornholin' kept
everyone entertained and quite frankly it was a grand 'ol time!
We gathered together for a picture by the poster, and drank until we
were out of beer and the busses stopped running.
Oops...
Monday Brett and I tried to go see the Cubs game, but it was sold out
and the scalper prices were outrageous, so we went downtown instead.
Saw Buckingham Fountain (From the Married With Children intro), "The
Bean" (a unique and bizarre work of art) and shook the lactic acid
from our legs. I also got to see a mall with very nice carpeting on
The Mile, which was pretty cool. Oh, and Lego stores rock!
There was a lot I didn't get to do in Chicago that'd I'd really like
to, but the trip must go on! Just had a blast out there. Parking
sucked, but I had a blast. I'll be back someday after this trip.

Tuesday I drove to Indianapolis and met up with online buddy RJ, whom
I've known for several years online and met in person a few times at
Nintendo of America HQ and E3.
Had dinner with him and his fiancee, Kelly, watched The Big Lebowski
(The Dude abides.) and he gave me crash space for the night. A great
guy with a great gal, we played Mario Kart on Wii until close to 4 am!
I slept in today, woke up and RJ and I went out for lunch since Kelly
was at work. Afterwards he was kind enough to burn my pictures onto
DVD before I left.

Traffic hasn't been too bad today. Aimed for Knoxville, TN but only
got to Lexington, KY. Camping by the trains tonight, tomorrow I'll do
some laundry and if luck and time are on my side, hit Tail of the
Dragon in time to get a run in before nightfall!

No comments: