Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Colo (it's RAD yo)

So, following a tortuous drive north through New Mexico, I arrive in
Colorado, noticing an instant change in scenery, temperature and
overall calming down of things. Knowing that there's a Pike's Peak H3
trail the next day I manuver my way through the ever winding streets
looking for someplace to set up shop.
Instead I go to the nearest theater (that I could see from the
highway) and watch Harold & Kumar Escape Guantanamo Bay.
Excellent movie, I recommend it, especially if you saw the first one
since the start of Gitmo is directly after the events of the first
movie.
Anyways, on my way out of the theater I Google (it's a word too, not
just a website!) Colorado, hash) and find out that the Colorado Kimchi
Hashers meet and drink Fridays at the Artic Craft Brewery, owned by 7
Second Pump and home of the On-On Ale, brewed for hashers, by hashers.
I down a few ales and while chatting with 7 Second Pump, in comes MILF
and his gal, Bicycle Bleeder. A couple more beers and MILF offers to
board me for the night. How frekin' cool! We continue to drink until 7
Second Pump kicks us out.
I wake up late the next day, just in time to jump in my car, grab some
nosh and drive to the start of trail.
This was supposed to be Bloody Z's big bash, an A to Z 26 shotcheck
trail, but as MILF and I discovered the night before, Z was being
'detained' in Washington and couldn't make his own trail
(dun-dun-duuuun!).
However, Pike's Peak hashers are a resourceful bunch and managed to
set up a last minute trail. It was a good 4-5 miler and not being
accustomed to a higher altitude, my butt was thoroughly kicked.
Colorado gave me my first good water crossing on my trip. Going twice
over a fairly large river. Not deep, but a good 20-25 feet across. It
reminded me a lot of the river crossed during the LVHHH 1000th. The
only downer that I ran across was the bar chosen as a start point was
shut down a couple weeks prior. Oops hares!
Religion was similar to my home Hash in Vegas and took place on the
band stage at our ending bar. Fittingly enough, "24 Hours Ago" was a
hit as a hash song.
After On-Afters, I went to see Iron Man (great flick! Kinda surprising
for a comic book movie) and, unable to reach MILF; I zenned my way to
the Artic Craft Brewery and sat around chatting and drinking until
almost 1 a.m. (the sour there is to kill for, and he brews an 11%
milkstout!)
I purchased a shirt and John (7 Second Pump) was kind enough to give
me a 6-pack of On-On Ale for the road and an Artic Craft Brewery
glass! I'll have to make a point to see if he can't get some beer out
to the next Lee's Beer Experience...
Slept very comfortably at a Day's Inn arounf the corner before waking
up just in time again to nosh and drive the 80 odd miles to Sunday's
trail run by the Boulder Hash.
I seem to have adjusted well from the day prior, and coupled with some
very intuitive decisions made at checks, I found myself quite often up
with the FRB's (On-One! On-Two... Hare Arrow!). Up hills, down steep
inclines, across roads and teasing us all with a run alongside a creek
and no water crossing, but one hell of a checkback 69 to keep the pack
together! I was beat and inpressed by the end. Boulder Has also gave
me my first good blood on trail. Not just scratches, but a nice flow
from my lower leg! (Should I be excited for bleeding? I am!)
Circle was held just off the Platte River (?) with much gusto by the
GM (whose name escapes me now).
I had the good (mis)fortune of meeting many fantastic hashers who
offered me travel tips, mentioned hashes to check out in Europe and
asked about how fellow Vegas hashers are doing.
Standing out was Do Little, wearing a Vegas Rat Pack HHH shirt that he
said Hunka Hunka Burnin' Shit gave him a few years back. That was
really cool to run into.
From there I got ahold of Happy Sock who gave me directions to a place
she lives with 2 roomates. One a non-hasher and the other Nappy Headed
Whore, a cool gal with an amazing dog (Monty?). All 3 ladies had dogs,
but Nappy's just blew me away for some reason. Much like Jake (Fatty
and Deep Dish's dog) did in Tucson.
It was late, we were all tired, so I took the couch and everyone went
to their respective rooms and crashed.
The next day I went up to Pkie's Peak and went for a run. Following
Barr's trail about a mile and a half (3/4?) up the 13 mile trail that
tops the mountain was intensely brutal, but I must admit one the
panting stopped and I could breathe somewhat normally again, the view
was outstanding and I felt incredibly refreshed! Coming down the
mountain I found a cell phone and (after answering a call from the
owner's daughter!) turned it in to the Cog RY Yard only to run into
the owner while getting in my car. I can only hope if I lose my phone
on this trip, someone does the same for me.
After the run, I went to Garden Of The Gods, taking pictures and
having a sandwich before driving up to the Cave Of The Winds and
paying too much for an excellent underground tour. To be honest
though, despite the prospect of being lost in a maze of caverns, the
guided tour did leave me wanting to explore alone rather than tag
along in a group.
Returning to Manitou Springs, I filled my water bottles with fresh
spring geyser water. Bubbling forth and sometimes spraying violently
from pump faucets, it tastes like Perrier only without the self
importance.
Happy Sock called while I was galavanting around and offered to take
me out for a drink when she was done at work. With a chance to stay
another day in this beautiful state (you could see Pike's Peak
hovering in the background of almost everything) I couldn't refuse.
Besides, I wanted another go at Pike's Peak and a chance to check out
the Anasazi cave dwellings. So we drank, talked, met up with Nappy and
some of her softball buddies, talked and drank some more, until it
grew late, then we all headed back to the house and slept well
(comfiest couch EVER!).
Today (Tuesday) I went back to Pike's Peak, but forewent running it,
vowing that next time I'm this way I'll do the entire run. I must
admit, I felt very drawn to stay and take a couple days to backpack up
it, but the town of Manitou Springs has really captured my imagination
and I was already finding it hard enough to leave today.
So, instead, I drank more natural spring water, climbed up, in and
around Anasazi cave dwellings and listened and looked for ghosts at
Miramar Castle (nothing!).
Leaving Colorado late in the afternoon I drove East on Route 24,
turning onto I-70 and stopped at this really nice campground just shy
of the Colorado/Kansas border.
There's lightning in the sky all around me so I put up my rainfly, and
now it's time to sleep. Tomorrow, Oatmeal and more driving. I expect
to hit Topeka at worst, Kansas City at best.
Point of note: Colorado has given me my best gas mileage of the trip
so far with 29.33 mpg!

1 comment:

Happy Sock said...

Come back and visit CO! You always have a place on our couch!