Friday, May 30, 2008

Deal or no Deal's Gap

Finally made it to my one big driving destination of the trip, Deal's Gap aka Tail of the Dragon aka US Route 129 S.
318 turns in 11 miles, an advisable 30 mph speed limit, no guardrails (just trees) and a whole lot of fun!
I got in around 8:00 last night, well after most traffic has passed through, only saw one bike cop. Going into the drive I almost laughed at the reduction in speed to 30 mph, but once the turns arrived I saw the wisdom. These roads aren't wide by any means and 90% of the turns are blind. There is a flow and rhythm to them though, so after I got my zen on, I was able to keep the Blue Demon Wagon in 3rd gear for all but a few of the curves, those happening to be 180 hairpins. I dropped into second, entered the turn at 25 and then pulled through around 35 mph. Lots of fun... I wish my car weren't full of everything because I know that weight is a hinderance. Oh well, can't win 'em all.
Hotels out here are expensive and since I'm already a good couple weeks behind on my imaginary itinerary, I've decided to only spent one night. Most camping is motorcycle only too... So, today I go back up the Dragon and then continue on down South!

I also seem to have picked up a cold somewhere in the past few days. Thought it was Springtime pollen, but Benadryl is being laughed at by my nose. The rest of me also feels slightly off. Need to find a drug store with some Dayquil... Hopefully I'll be over this by the next hash I run across, I also need to clean the Flabongo as a precautionary measure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I blame your cold on the walk back from my car after that late night Wendy's run on Monday. Shorts were not a good call that night.